For the most part I’m a healthy person. I eat healthy, exercise daily, and rarely drink. However, when I do drink…I DRINK, Lots. This often leads to me waking up the next morning feeling nauseous, having a headache, and basically feeling like complete shit. Yup, you guessed it…I’m hung-over. Besides the fact that my night prior was probably lots of fun we can all agree that having a hangover is no fun!
Don’t you wish there was a way we could learn how much alcohol can be consumed without feeling like shit the next morning? Unfortunately, it’s impossible to know because there are many other factors that play into that equation. However, what I could do is give you some tips to possibly help you prevent that dreadful hangover!
- Drink lots of water/liquids. It’s important to stay hydrated while you’re drinking alcohol. That means drinking plenty of water between cocktails. Besides water, you should drink electrolyte fluids as well such as Gatorade, Coconut Water, or any other sports drink. These drinks can restore the salt and potassium you’ve lost rehydrating you.
- Eat before you drink. Some people swear that if you eat a pizza or any other fatty foods before drinking the grease in the intestines will make the alcohol take longer to absorb.
- Consume sugar while you’re drinking. Studies show that fructose may speed alcohol metabolism, thus reducing the risk of a hangover. It’s important to eat sugar while you’re drinking, not before, since fructose metabolizes quickly. Try plain orange juice between cocktails.
The next morning
- Eat breakfast. Electrolytes in food help replenish a dehydrated system and get calories back into your body. While a greasy meal before drinking may help, a hangover needs foods that are easy to digest, like toast and cereal.
- Eat ginger. Studies show that eating ginger will reduce nausea and vomiting.
- Get your rest. A hangover isn’t caused by lack of sleep, but not sleeping won’t make you feel any better. Take a nap and get your sleep!