Happy Valentine’s Day!
Today is the day for love, chocolate, and enjoying the day with your significant other because love is in the air. If Valentine’s Day is your favorite holiday here are some interesting facts you should know.
- In Victorian times it was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine’s Day card.
- At least 9 million people buy their pets a gift on Valentine`s Day.
- On Valentine`s Day every year, there are at least 36 million heart shape boxes of chocolates sold.
- On average, men spend double the amount of money on Valentine`s Day gifts than women spend. The average amount a man spends is $130.
- Every Valentine`s Day, the Italian city of Verona receives approximately 1,000 letters that have been addressed to Juliet. This is where Romeo and Juliet, the young lovers in Shakespeare`s play, lived.
- Valentine`s Day is the second most popular day of the year for sending cards, second only to Christmas
- More than one-third of men would prefer not receiving a gift. Less than 20% of women feel the same way.
- 15% of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.
- Hallmark produced its first valentine in 1913.
- In Japan, women are expected to give chocolate and other gifts to men on Valentine’s Day. This tradition was started as a marketing campaign by Japanese chocolate companies. Men are not off the hook, unfortunately. They are expected to return the favor on March 14th, commonly known as White Day.
Whether you are single or taken today should be a day full of love. Here’s some Valentine’s Day humor to brighten your day.